the suspect backpack

Friday, March 02, 2007

scanning philadelphia's homeland security

"Many people today are accustomed to Immigration and Customs at airports but nothing had prepared me for the surreal encounter on entering Philadelphia airport. Standard questions as 'what are you doing in the USA? How long will you stay here? Where are you staying?' were greeted with my standard answers. Nothing could have prepared me for the additional questions from Customs though - with suitcase in hand I handed over my form.

'What would I find in your suitcase if I were to look inside?'
the security guard asked.
'What would I find if I were to search your backpack?'

Then looking me up and down, head to toe, he calmly asked
'So...what are you wearing?'

I was stunned. After a long pause all I could do was sleepily point to myself and mutter '...er...clothes.'. He looked at me again, smiled coolly, and repeated, 'yes but what are wearing?' pointing at my Vexed Generation outfit. He then told me to move on, leaving me thoroughly bewildered. Are there now fashion restrictions on entering the USA?" (Scanner March 2007)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Deciding what not to wear when traveling is tough these days.

    There have been other well publicised such incident and this one.

    On what you may face when: traveling these days:

    ...and here's a collection of some relevant t-shirts :-)

    br -d

    P.S. I like your scripts!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home